Sunday, December 30, 2007

baby signing?

I went to the library today to get a book to aid me in studying and as I turned around I saw a book called "Sign, sing and play!". I'd heard people talking about baby sign language and had thought about doing it, but then decided against it because I thought it was odd to teach my baby sign language and that it would be too much work. Since I'm not sure I totally believe in coincidences, I figure that the fact that I turned around and I was right in front of a baby sign language book is a sign that Jarrett should learn to sign. The book states that signing enhances bonding; decreases crying and tantrums; accelerates verbal language acquisition; stimulates interest in books; raises self-esteem; increases IQ; and gives one a window into your child's thoughts. With all those promises, it seems I would be insane not to at least try it. The book states 6-7 months is the optimal time to start teaching signing and that the baby should start signing back at 9-10 months. This seems a good time as any as lately he's been doing this weird moaning, grunting thing when he wants more, milk, sleep, it means everything. I remember when Jarrett was a really little baby and I learned Dunstan's baby language. That helped me so much to know that when Jarrett said neh it meant I'm hungry, or when he said owh it meant he was tired, or when he said eh he needed to burp, or eair he had lower gas, those were so helpful and I felt that it made all the difference in the world because I could understand his needs. I am hoping that this baby language does the same thing. Wish me luck!

No comments: